Wednesday 23 February 2011

My face hurts

Hello web,

Let me start by saying i've never blogged before. I always thought blogging was for loser kids and trashy celeb gossip. Although I am right in some respects, I would like to note that an attractive business owner/ beach body fitness trainer/ dental hygienist/ aspiring writer has inspired me to think otherwise (thanks Marley!).

I see now that blogging is just another form of communication between myself and people I've never met. It's like sending a mass e-mail to the world saying "This is who I am, deal with it!" I like to think of blogging as more than just writing out my thoughts... It's my way of "putting a ding in the universe." (to quote Steve Jobs, a man who's business savvy and smugness has inspired me to do more with my life than chase a carrot!)

I'm not going to blog stuff all the time, just whenever I feel like it....And i'm not going to post my most precious ideas (so back off!!!) I reserve those for beers/coffee with close friends.

My first topic of discussion is the dilemma of perfection.

This word has many preconceived notions attached to it and many are of a negative sense. Perfection means there is NO room for error, which frightens and intimidates people. When most of us think of perfection, we imagine a man (or woman) with a magnifying glass meticulously working with expert precision on a project of extreme complexity. This image, conjured from the depths of the human psyche, is romantic and admirable to an extent, but it is also incredibly flawed. What people don't realize is that perfection can be found anywhere, it's not just reserved for the science labs.

This past summer a co-worker of mine passed away tragically. I don't like to talk about it often cause it is an unbelievably sad story. Jesse was only 17 when he was killed crossing the street on his skateboard. I'm only bringing this up because Jesse was the last person I talked to about the dilemma of perfection. I told him that what people think is "perfect" all comes from how we define perfection... Some people think that perfection means "Without flaws", but I stand to disagree. I believe that perfection is defined by the fact that some things in life are created a certain way and are perfect just for being the way they are. (For example... a maple tree is perfect by nature, even if it's leaves are browning, and it isn't exactly symmetrical... or it has gaps in it's canopy. It's perfect because it's a perfect version of itself, grown exactly the way nature intended it to be...Even though our inflated, North American, cartoon version of the world deems it to be an eye-sore)

Unfortunately, I can't be 100% sure if Jesse picked up on the concept or not... I like to think he did. R.I.P. Jesse...


In closing, I just want to say that blogging is awesome... And I want everyone reading this to look in the mirror (a metaphorical mirror) and say "I am perfect, because I am PERFECT at being myself!"



ps. My face hurts cause I got my wisdom teeth taken out today....ouch!

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous first post! welcome to the blogging world.

    I love your definition of perfect.. just what I needed to hear today!

    Sorry to hear about Jesse...sounds like a very very sad story. Life is so short, even more reason to believe in the perfection of every day right?!

    Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete